Saturday, December 13, 2008

Life, Death, and Where The Hell Are My Tires Pt. 2

As of Monday December 15Th my mother-in-law will be alive once again, at least that's what the Social Security Administration says. So life goes on for those of us who are still amongst the living. Just as life is cyclical so are the seasons we have four of them and depending on where you live some of them can last a bit longer than the others. In Oregon winter would be one of the"longer " of the four seasons. To be precise it encapsulates about two thirds of the four seasons, if that makes any sense to you. If that doesn't make sense to you come and live here for a couple of years you will know what I'm talking about. Rain makes up the bulk of our winters here, but every now and then mother nature kicks it up a notch and gives us a taste of what winter is like in other parts of the country. Heavy precipitation coming of the pacific coast runs into a cold bast coming out of the Gorge from the east, or and Arctic front will work it's way down from the Great White North and we get snow. Why I hate snow; snow is wonderful and magical if you are 1. a small child, 2. housebound by some physical malady, 3. retired with no place to go. Anyone who doesn't fall into one of these categories will tell you snow is a pain in the ass ! If you have to go somewhere in the snow via the automobile it necessitates traction, usually coming from snow tires which I happen to own, two sets of them as a matter of fact. So when the man on the TV says snow is coming you go to the tire store and put on your snow tires, simple.... right ? Nothing is simple in the world of the Meyers anyone who knows us will attest to that. We drop the car of for the snow tires, but wait not so quick there Tex. " Your snow tires are too old we can't mount them for you. You're going to need to buy new ones. And for 15 dollars we will recycle your old snow tires." OK I'm going to need them to get to work because I am not a member of the three category club, so we pay for four new snow tires. We'll be back later to pick up the car, and thanks for all the help! Off we drive , traction galore, bring on the snow baby I'm ready for it. Two days later we open the trunk to put the regular tires away and what do we find..... another set of snow tires. Not another set actually just my old ones that were supposed get recycled. Hmmmm if these are in the trunk, and the new ones are on the car, then where are my regular tires that came off the car ? That was the 64 dollar question which I posed to the manager of the tire store . Luckily he had the answer to my question, well half the answer at least. "Whoops we screwed up. We realized it that night and I have your tires right here you can come and pick them up anytime you like. Let me check and make sure they are here. Hold on I'll be right back." This is what I like to call the Meyers pause, everything is good until they put you on hold. " Well Mr. Meyers it appears I only have two of your tires, the other two must have gotten recycled last night." See I told you.Well I guess I did pay 15 dollars for some tires to be recycled. So where are my other two tires, who knows ? Maybe Monday I'll call the Social Security people and see if they can bring them back from the dead too. If it can work for my mother-in-law I'm sure it can work for my car tires.

2 comments:

Sam I Am said...

LOL!!
man... remind me to bring my chains the next time i visit!!!

and...
i don't fall into any of the catagories you have posted..
please add a catagory for me :)

vintagepaletteart said...

WTF is going on out there in Oregon??????????????? And UH OH............Sam's bringing her chains..........better watch out.

I'd tell those guys at the tire place that you're going to recycle their asses............LMAO!